Benjamin Starr, son of Charles W. Starr and younger brother of James Starr, enlisted as a private in the 2nd Indiana Cavalry soon after the start of the Civil War. He received a serious head wound in August 1862 and, while recovering from the wound was stricken with typhoid fever. Honorably discharged soon after, he returned to Richmond to engage in business. His first enterprise after the war was the Nye & Starr Stove Store, and soon after he became part owner of the Richmond Gas Company. In 1878, he joined his brother as part owner of the Chase Piano Company, which in 1884, became James Starr & Co., and in 1893, the Starr Piano Company.
In addition to business he was active in the Grand Army of the Republic veterans’ organization and was trustee of the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Orphans’ Home in Knightstown, Indiana.
In 1902, he was appointed state legislator to replace C. C. Binkley, who had just died. Unfortunately, Starr died himself less than a year later.