The Richmond Baking Company was established in 1902 by William H. Quigg. It soon occupied the former Hoerner Baker building on South 5th Street. William’s two sons, Eugene and Robert, were also involved in the business. In 1917 the company purchased the land of the former Gaar, Scott & Co., intending to build a new
The Starr Piano Company began as the Trayser Piano Co. in 1872. One if its founders was James Starr. In 1878, the company was reorganized as the Chase Piano Company, and Benjamin Starr joined his brother James in the business. In 1884 they bought 23 acres in the Whitewater Valley gorge and constructed a six-story
Beginning as the Wayne Agricultural Works in Dublin, Indiana in 1837, and incorporated in 1868, Wayne Works moved to Richmond in 1876. By the 1890s in addition to making farm implements, it was making carriages and horse-drawn “kid-hacks,” or early school buses. From 1906-1916 Wayne Works manufactured the “Richmond” automobile, but in 1914 it built
December 31, 2018 was wet and windy from start to finish, producing temporary ponds in backyards and streets, but little serious damage. That was not the case more than 180 years earlier. The last several days of 1846 saw heavy rain nearly each day, and by New Year’s Day nearly every creek and stream in Indiana
This card dates from the late 1920s. The Cut Rate Shoe Store opened in 1926 and changed its name to Brown-bilt Shoe Store in 1929. One of its prime features was the separate children’s shoe store in the basement, the Merry-Go-Round Shoe Shop, specializing in Buster Brown shoes.
Wilma Mae Wallace (1889-1972) was an early graduate of Reid Hospital’s Nurses’ Training School. At that point it was a three-year course, and she and four others graduated in June 1914. She remained at Reid Hospital after her graduation. Soon after President Wilson’s declaration of war in April 1917, Wallace registered with the American Red Cross
Halloween around the turn of the century often involved youngsters playing pranks on their neighbors, heaving cabbage and other excess vegetables at houses, attending masquerade parties, and generally making merry in the streets on All Hallow’s Eve. In 1918, all these activities were curtailed. Mayor William Zimmerman proclaimed that Halloween of 1918 would be
One hundred years ago Richmond was dealing with the so-called Spanish Flu. The rest of the world was dealing with it as well, which made it a true pandemic. The story of this particular influenza strain is tied to the story of the World War. What might have been a harsher than usual flu outbreak,
Cartoon from the Richmond Item September 8, 1918 It wasn’t until after Labor Day that Richmond’s students returned to the classroom in the fall of 1918, and this return was different than it had ever been before. Richmond’s large German population had ensured the presence of German-speaking institutions, including churches, a newspaper, and a bank.
Richmond has always loved parades, and never more so than during the Great War. One hundred years ago, the city put on possibly its largest in history. This parade had eight divisions which formed up on the side streets between Third and Sixth Streets and stepped off at 11:00. As was often the case, the